Play Responsibly, Play for Fun
We are committed to operating the National Lottery in a socially responsible way. Our aim is to provide exciting and engaging lottery games that bring fun and entertainment to everyone, while ensuring as far as possible that individuals play within their means and that the vulnerable and persons less than 18 years of age are protected.
Here are some of the ways we work to ensure that our games do not encourage excessive or underage play:
- Every game we wish to introduce is subject to an approval process. Once a game has been designed, we must ensure that our advertising strategies do not target under 18s or low–income players, and that marketing of all lottery games complies with the relevant codes of practice.
- Marketing of all lottery games must comply with The Advertising Standards Authority for Ireland which covers activity in both print media and on broadcast channels. This means games must adhere to an extensive range of measures to take player protection into account.
- All Game Rules specify that a Player must be over 18.
- The Terms & Conditions and Prize Rules also specify that no prize will be paid out to a minor.
Whilst the majority of people play within their means, a few may find it difficult. Players should always remember the following:
- Playing National Lottery games should be entertaining and fun and is not a means to invest money.
- Avoid chasing losses.
- Only play an amount that you can afford.
- Keep track of the time and the amount of money you are spending through your player history.
- If you need to have a break from play, remember that you can exclude yourself from the website.
- If you need to talk to someone about problem gambling then contact www.GambleAware.ie or telephone the National Gambling Helpline 1800 753 753. You could also contact www.gamblersanonymous.ie or telephone Dublin on (01) 8721133, Cork 087-2859552, Galway 086-3494450, Tipperary 085-7831045 or Waterford 087-1850294. Another useful website is www.problemgambling.ie which provides support and resources to anyone whose life has been negatively impacted by problem gambling.
Use our tool to find out what type of player you are
If you're concerned that gaming may be playing too large a part in your life (or someone else's), the following questions may help you to decide if you have a problem:
- Do you skip work or college to gamble?
- Do you gamble to escape from a boring or unhappy life?
- If you run out of money whilst gambling, do you feel desperate and feel the need to gamble again as soon as possible?
- Do you gamble until your last penny is gone, even money you need for essentials?
- Have you ever lied to cover up the amount of money or time that you have gambled?
- Have others ever criticised your gambling?
- Have you lied, stolen or borrowed just to get money to gamble or to pay gambling debts?
- Are you reluctant to spend money on anything else?
How we help
National Lottery Play Online encourages its players not to play beyond their means. We accept deposits as low as €10. You will be subject to a daily maximum spending limit of €75, a weekly maximum limit of €300 and a monthly maximum limit of €900. A Player can choose to self-impose a lower limit to the system limits above. Any new limit cannot be altered for at least 24hrs. In addition, the amount in the Wallet in your Player Account shall not exceed €750 at any one time or such other sum as we may specify to you from time to time. If a player’s online wallet balance exceeds €750 at any time they will be prevented from playing/purchasing any further games. A player must reduce their wallet balance below €750 to continue playing; any amount withdrawn will only be issued by cheque. All cheques issued by Interactive system are sent to the Name & Address contained in the Player’s Interactive Profile, all cheques issued are stamped ‘Account Payee Only’.
To change your spending limits, login to your account and select 'Spending limits' from the left-hand menu.
- A player will be able to lock themself out of an Interactive Instant Win game for a minimum period of 2 days.
- All Games – Minimum Six Months:
If a player chooses this option their account will be closed for a minimum of six months and the balance in their online wallet will be returned. They will receive no marketing messages for the period of their exclusion.
- All Games – Minimum One Month (Take a Break):
If a player chooses this option their account will be suspended for a minimum of one month. The balance in their online wallet will be held for the player but they will receive no marketing messages for the period of their exclusion.
To exclude yourself from certain Instant Win Games, login to your account and select 'Locked games' from the left-hand menu.
Players are able to view their transactions on National Lottery Play Online by clicking on "Manage My Account" section of the Website. You will be able to access certain data from the Website relating to your previous ninety (90) days Game play.
It is illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to open an account or to play National Lottery Online. All new users are required to agree to our Terms and Conditions and click a separate check box confirming they are at least 18-years of age at the time of account creation. If you are aware of any underage person playing National Lottery games, please contact [email protected] with all the relevant details, including the user’s player name on our site. We will fully and fairly investigate any matters reported to us, and, if necessary, freeze the player’s account to prevent the user from any further play.
If you have concerns about minors having access to your computer and internet connection, please ensure you keep your username and password confidential at all times. For further advice on filtering applications that parents or guardians can use to restrict or monitor internet use on their computers, please see www.internetsafety.ie.