There were smiles all round in National Lottery offices when a group of friends collected the latest Irish EuroMillions jackpot win of over €66 million.
The lucky group purchased their €15 Quick Pick ticket on Wednesday 27 January 2016, for the EuroMillions draw on Friday 29 January 2016. The jackpot on that date was €132,376,632 and there were two winning tickets - one in France and one in Ireland.
The winners wish their identities to remain private. The purchaser of the winning EuroMillions ticket, on behalf of the group, said:
"This is by any standards, enormous good fortune. We are completely dumbstruck to have won this fantastic prize. The ads are true; it is riches beyond your wildest dreams, even when it's shared by a group like this. It's a life changing amount of money for each of us, and we realise how lucky we are to share in a EuroMillions jackpot of this size".
This jackpot win collection ranks as the fourth highest in terms of the size of EuroMillions jackpots won in Ireland, after a €115 million win in 2005 (Limerick), a €94 million win in June 2013 (Dublin) and an €86.7 million win in Dublin in September 2014.
Ireland has had great luck in the EuroMillions game since it launched in Ireland in 2004.
Including this win of over €66 million, there have now been eight EuroMillions jackpot wins in Ireland to date, including:
- August 2005: Limerick’s Dolores McNamara won over €115 million. This is the largest Irish EuroMillions win to date.
- July 2008: a €15 million winning ticket was sold in Carrick on Suir, Co. Tipperary.
- June 2009: a €29.4 million winning ticket was sold in Dublin.
- June 2013: a lucky player won €94 million with a ticket purchased in Mace, Beaumont, Dublin 9.
- September 2013: a young man from the South East shared a jackpot of over €25.6 million with a player in Spain. The Irish share was €12.8 million. The ticket was purchased in Ardkeen Superstores, Waterford.
- April 2014: a €15 million jackpot was won by a family. Their ticket was purchased in Stauntons Costcutter Express, Castlebar, Co. Mayo.
- September 2014: an €86.7 million EuroMillions jackpot was won from a ticket purchased in Ballybrack, Dublin by a syndicate.
- January 2016: January jackpot of €66,188,316 won in Ireland and collected by a syndicate of friends.