What is the National Lottery Good Causes fund?
The National Lottery was set up with the express purpose of raising funds for Good Causes.
The National Lottery is all about enhancing people’s lives, not just for those who win but for everyone in society. So by playing our games, the people of Ireland help to create a better society through raising much-needed funds for Good Causes in the areas of sport and recreation, national culture, heritage, the Irish language, the arts, health, community, youth, and the natural environment.
With almost 30 cent of every €1 our players spend on National Lottery games going back to Good Causes, you are making a very positive impact on local communities all over Ireland.
Find out ways in which National Lottery funding has helped Good Causes across Ireland.
How do I apply for National Lottery Good Causes funding?
Funds raised by the National Lottery are transferred to the Exchequer and are used to part-finance expenditure by various Government Departments on projects in these categories. Each Government department or body accept applications for funding on an annual basis and disperse grants accordingly.
Here is how to apply for the various streams of funding:
- Sports – Sports Capital Programme or any funding issued through the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport. More information and applications can be made at www.dttas.ie/sport/english/sports-capital-programme
- Arts – Any funding provided through the Arts Council of Ireland. Applications can be made at www.artscouncil.ie
- Heritage - Any funding provided through the Heritage Council of Ireland. Applications can be made at www.heritagecouncil.ie
- Youth – This stream of funding is issued by the Department of Children and Youth Affairs, which can be applied for at www.gov.ie/en/organisation/department-of-children-and-youth-affairs
- Health – Funding from the Department of Health can be applied for at www.health.gov.ie or from the Health Service Executive at www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/schemes/natlotterygrants
- Community – Funding schemes administered by the Department of Rural & Community Development at www.gov.ie/en/service/8966ac-funding-for-voluntary-organisations
- Irish Language – Funding for the promotion of the Irish language can be applied for at www.chg.gov.ie.
Discover more about what your money is doing for Good Causes throughout the country here.
Further sources of information
Government Departments with allocations part-funded by the National Lottery publish details of grants paid from such allocations on their websites.
Annual Estimates for the Public Services
Annual National Lottery allocations are detailed in the Revised Estimates for Public Services. A copy of the latest Estimates is available from the Government Publications Sales Office and on the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform website (www.per.gov.ie/en/rev/)