A healthy body leads to a healthy mind, which is why the good causes funding received by Tullow & South Leinster Tennis & Sports Club has been so important to the area. The club was originally founded in 1950, and after almost seven decades, its premises was falling into disrepair. As part of its programme of rejuvenation, it received €100,000 in 2014 to put in dressing rooms, showers and toilets.
The club drew down 95% of the good causes funding last year to begin the work, and ultimately aims to develop a multi-sports facility for the whole community to enjoy that will include basketball, soccer, volleyball and other sports.
According to chairman, Donnacha Harkin, three new floodlit courts and a playground for children aged one to six were recently added, and summer tennis camps for children are currently running. It offers tennis coaching, and already caters for active retired people and those with disabilities. It plans to expand to provide tennis for the blind.
As well as being a sports facility, the club is an integral part of the community. Pop in any day of the week and you will also see locals engaged in fitness, pilates and even drama classes. There are even language schools and Latvian Sunday schools using the facilities, and parties and meetings are held there regularly.
On the tennis front, Tullow & South Leinster Tennis & Sports Club caters for local and regional groups with plans to host national events in the future. This is why the grant was particularly helpful as it means the club can cater for people who travel long distances for tournaments. “Having new changing rooms, toilets and showers means that more people can use the facility in all weathers and seasons,” says Donnacha.